The most famous short-period comet is Halley’s Comet, named after English astronomer Edmond Halley. ■Its orbital period averages 76 years, and every one of its 30 appearances since 240 B.C. has been recorded by Chinese astronomers. ■ When seen in 1910, Halley ’ s Comet had developed a tail nearly 1.6 million kilometers (1 million miles) long and was visible during daylight hours. ■Its most recent approach occurred in 1986.■
12. According to paragraph 7, all of the following are true of Halley’s
l On at least one appearance, it had a tail of well over a million kilometers in length.
l Each of its last 30 appearances has been recorded by astronomers in China.
l It is the only comet that can be observed during daylight hours.
l It averages 76 years between appearances in the inner solar system.
13. Look at the four squares [ ■ ] that indicate where the following sentence could be added to the passage.
It was not until 1705, however, that Halley determined that each of these appearances was actually a reappearance of the same object.
Where would the sentence best fit? Click on a square [■] to add the sentence to the passage.
1. Which of the following three ways to do a history project do you prefer?
1. Shooting videos
2. Interviewing the elders
3. Writing thesis
2. Describe one argument that you had with others. What are the conflict and the consequence?
3. Three kinds of activities will be offered on a special day organized by the International Student office. Which one do you prefer?
1. International food fair;
2. International music festival;
3. International film festival.
4. Which of the following areas of current events do you most like to read?
Arts and films
5. The university decides to remodel the dormitory and add a new space to it. Which space do you recommend to add in your dormitory ?
2. Study room
3. Game room